Monday, March 19, 2012

Snow day

OK - I'm going to be one of those obnoxious people that brags about how wonderful their life is and how much they love everything. If you haven't had your Starbucks/coke yet today, you may want to breeze past this post. Just sayin'.

My boss decided a while ago that I needed to get out into the maintenance sheds more to see what they do so that when the guys call in and need help with something I have a better understanding of what they do so that I can help them out. So now let's rewind back to last Thursday. I arrive at the Cottonwood shed (George's) at 3:00 am. We wait for my big boss (Lee) so that we can head up the canyon. The guys have already been plowing snow down in their section of the valley as well as Big and Little Cottonwood canyon since 6:00 pm the previous day. When Lee gets in, we all load up and head up Little Cottonwood. It is beautiful, peaceful and serene. The canyon has been closed all night and we have the whole place to ourselves. We head up to the very top where we have a storage shed for all the heavy equipment. Two of the guys from another truck get in and begin working the equipment - they are pushing and blowing snow off the shoulders of the canyon so that the plows can come up and have somewhere to put the snow.


The machines are noisy, but I honestly could barely hear them. I had completely blocked them out as I just stood and watched in awe all the sugar-dusted, winter beauty around me. I realized that day how it is possible for so many people to be such snow-enthusiasts. People who live up the mountain don't fight the snow or see it as an inconvenience to be moved out of their way to make room for busy lives and schedules - they live WITH the snow.



Smoke rose from every chimney as the occupants of each home slowly woke up and stayed cozy inside, admiring the view from the warmth of their own homes. The sky turned from black to blue with the sun rising over the canyon, and they prepared to launch the avalanche cannons. I had never seen an avalanche before, but I can assure you - the mixture of being both beautiful and terrifying is so indescribably amazing!

After the avalanches had all come down and the roads had been cleaned up, they were able to finally re-open the canyon road for everyone at the bottom anxious to get up and start their skiing and snowboarding.

We headed back down the canyon after our breakfast and as I looked back up the canyon, KNOWING how much work goes in to keeping people safe on the roads, I had a newfound respect and admiration for it all. Most people don't get to see all the behind-the-scenes stuff I got to see that day, and I am grateful for the opportunity.

Bottom line: I have the Best. Job. Ever.

1 comment:

Michal Sarah said...

This was beautifully written. Whenever I get annoyed with driving in the snow I always think of driving up the canyons and how beautiful it is. Favorite part of this post..."sugar-dusted, winter beauty" You are amazing darling!

Stuff you'd probably like

All good things